Find online teaching tips and resources and for both new and experienced online instructors.
Teaching Online Preparation (TOP) Course
The Teaching Online Preparation course is both a self-paced training course and a curated library of teaching resources and tips to benefit new and seasoned online instructors.
We invite you to either work through the course section by section or explore the topics that most interest you. The main topics of the course include:
- Section 1: Orientation - provides a brief overview of online education at the University of Iowa; covers orientation and requirements; and describes supporting units
- Section 2: ICON - introduces the ICON Learning Management System (LMS); explores working in ICON, related tools and technology
- Section 3: Course Prep - helps with understanding and preparing your ICON course for students
- Section 4: Teaching the Course - explains your responsibilities as an online instructor; provides tips for beginning the course and engaging students throughout the semester
- Section 5: Moving Forward - discusses rolling over the course for future semesters; provides self-reflection and personal development suggestions; and identifies additional resources